Your lips are one of the first things people notice about you. Even without knowing it, most people look at the other person’s mouth while in conversation. For this and many other reasons, you want to make sure your pout is healthy and attractive.
Did you realize that your lips don’t have sweat glands? You probably never thought about it, but sweat glands also help keep the skin moisturized, so the lack of sweat gland on the lips means that lips tend to dry out faster than other parts of the body.
Also, the skin on the lips is thinner than the skin elsewhere on the body, consisting of three to five cellular layers instead of up to 16. Thinner skin means it’s easier to become dry and cracked (saliva actually dries them out over time!). Another fact that people forget is that your lips do not have melanin, so they can become sunburned very easily (which is a risk factor for skin cancer).
I’m going to share with you my secret to keeping my lips looking luscious.
The first step is exfoliating. Exfoliation is KEY in any skincare regimen, for all parts of your body. It removes the dead skin cells on the top layer of skin so that newer and healthier cells can grow and so that any nutrients you put on it can easily be absorbed and work their magic.
Imagine trying to water a garden that had a pile of dead leaves covering it. You would end up with a pile of soggy dead leaves and a garden bed that is still dry as a bone, right?! Likewise, you NEED to remove the dead skin cells from your lips first, before you do anything else.
I recommend KMS Skin Essentials Cake Batter Lip Scrub.
How to use: using a dime size scrub on your finger, gently exfoliate your entire lips back and forth in a circular motion for 10 seconds. Rinse with water, pat dry and follow with your choice lip product.
This only has 3 healthy ingredients: Granulated Sugar, Persea americana (Avocado) Oil, and Natural Almond Flavor. It feels amazing. Not too harsh on your lips and it really gets rid of those flakes hanging off your lips. The smell is enchanting. I love the smell of almond and this was divine. With the little I had left on my finger, I also used it on my cuticles and the back of my hand (Bonus!). Once you rinse it off, your skin is left feeling amazingly soft and it now has the amazing healing properties of avocado oil doing their magic. PLUS, Avocado Oil naturally has an SPF of 15, so your lips will be protected from UV ray damage.
* Here are some important nutrients in avocado oil:
- Protein and Fats. Avocado oil contains a high amount of proteins and unsaturated fats, both of which are strong skin agents. Avocado oil actually contains omega-3 fatty acids – those very same fatty acids as found in fish oil. Thus, not only can this oil be used as a beneficial lotion, but also as healthy cooking oil!
- Sterolin. Avocado oil is high in a substance called sterolin, which studies have shown facilitate the softening of the skin and reduce the incidence of age spots;
- Antioxidants. Avocado oil is rich in antioxidants, making it useful for healing sun-damaged skin. Antioxidants like vitamins A, D and E in avocado cause the skin to be suppler, and are thus particularly good for dry or aged skin.
- Lecithin and Potassium. Avocado oil contains lecithin and potassium, which are all highly beneficial for the skin as well as the hair.
Here are more health benefits of avocado oil:
- Moisturize the Skin. Avocado oil applied topically helps relieve dry and itchy skin. Once applied, avocado oil is deeply absorbed by the skin, thus making it an ideal moisturizer and skin care agent.
- Boost Scalp Health. In addition to helping clear scaly skin, it can also relieve itchy scalp symptoms. Avocado oil, when regularly applied to the scalp, can stimulate hair growth.
- Increase Collagen Production. When applied, avocado oil increases the production of collagen, which helps keep the skin plump and decreases the effects of aging.
- Treat Skin Conditions. Avocado oil is useful in the treatment of a variety of skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis.
- Others. Avocado oil facilitates the healing of wounds and burns to the skin. It also helps to relieve and heal diaper rash.
- * Source http://www.med-health.net/Avocado-Oil-For-Skin.html
So, now that your lips are healthy, lets dress them up, shall we?
I used KMS Mineral Essentials Pro Studio Liquid to Matte Lipstick in Bombshell, and it was a hit! It adorns your lips with dazzling color while its rich emollient-rich formula creates a dramatic all-day matte look without creasing, fading or drying out. It goes on smoothly in a liquid then dries to a matte finish that lasts all day. It literally didn’t come off until I washed it off at the end of the day. There was no smudging, feathering , cracking or caking. I highly recommend this. They have 9 colors to choose from, check them out here.
To get a $10 gift card enter my name (Maritza Baez) and email address (email@example.com) in the notes when ordering.
Here’s my pout with Bombshell. What do you think?
Check out some of my other KMS Mineral Essentials Reviews:
*Disclaimer: I received these products free for testing purposes. These opinions are my own.