With Spring in bloom and Skin Cancer Awareness Month in May, I want to remind everyone about how important sun protection is.
Some of you might not know that I have a history of precancerous skin problems. I recently had 2 skin biopsies which came back abnormal (again!), so this news reinforced my need to be conscious with sun protection. I was gifted Jan Marini Skin Research Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33 for testing purposes, and I actually really like it! I like that I can protect and boost my skin’s defense against aging caused by the sun with this scientifically proven, antioxidant-infused, broad spectrum SPF sunscreen.
If you’re concerned with keeping your skin as healthy and youthful as possible, you need to involve sun protection in your skincare routine. The best defense against the damaging effects of UV rays? Sunscreen. Let me remind you why you should be wearing sunscreen every day (yes, every day!). Sun and UV damage can happen at all times of the year, not just in the summer. In the winter, you might not feel like the sun is out, but it is, and it’s UV rays are just as able to cause damage as any other time of year. The sun emits ultraviolet (UV) rays, a type of invisible radiation that can harm your skin and lead to premature aging or skin cancer.
Melanoma causes 3 out of 4 skin cancer deaths
1 in 5 Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime
UVA (Aging) Rays increase the risk of skin cancer and cause premature skin aging, wrinkles and age spots. These rays do not burn the skin or leave any indication of overexposure and are present at near full intensity year round. They penetrate both clouds and glass to cause sun damage anytime you’re exposed to natural light, even on cloudy days, when driving or indoors in the sun. SPF ratings do not measure UVA protection. Only a broad-spectrum sunscreen offers UVA protection.
UVB (Burning) rays are what people classically equate with sun exposure. These rays causes sunburns and increase the risk of cancer and premature aging. Intensity varies by season, location and time of day, and is most intense in the summer between 10 AM and 4 PM. SPF measures the degree of protection against these rays only.
So if you have skin (regardless of age, gender, or location), The American Academy of Dermatology recommends you choose a sunscreen which states on the label: SPF 30 or higher, broad spectrum (required for protection against both UVA and UVB rays), and water resistant for up to 40 or 80 minutes. Make sure you reapply after 80 minutes, because it does not last longer than that. I usually apply before going to work and the before leaving from work, but I’m going to step it up to every 2 hours.
Don’t forget, though, you should still follow other sun protection measures, including:
- limit time in the sun, especially from 10 a.m. — 2 p.m., when the sun is at it’s strongest
- wear long-sleeve shirts, pants, hats, and sunglasses (your eyes can also be damaged from those UV rays!)
I’ve been a skincare addict for a while now, but I won’t try just any brand. I like to try brands that are backed by science and research, are cruelty free, and that truly work for me. I have combination skin with some redness around my nose and some signs of sun damage in the form of age spots. Lately, if you’ve seen me around, I have been makeup-free. This is because my redness and age spots are much improved and I feel confident in my skin thanks to Jan Marini Skin Research. I have a Bachelor’s of Science from Yale University in Molecular Biology, so I can actually understand and appreciate what goes into a good skincare product.
Jan Marini Skin Research (JMSR) is one of the world’s most esteemed professional skin care brands. JMSR has teamed up with some top physician and research scientists to develop ground breaking technology that not only addresses the world’s most common skin problems, but that revolutionizes the skincare industry. JMSR has introduced a multitude of technological firsts, has been awarded numerous patents and has published multiple independent peer-reviewed studies on its products.
I love wearing Jan Marini Skin Research Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 33 for many reasons. Here are my top 5:
1. The Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant provides broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection to decrease the risk of cancer and early skin aging caused by the sun. That’s just what we all need in our skincare regimen.
2. It is invisible, hydrating and weightless! It feels amazing and smells great! I love that it is not greasy and my face feels soft and hydrated after I apply it. It fits right into my skin care routine and the tube fits easily into my purse so I can reapply after 2 hours. A pea sized amount is all I need for my entire face, ears and neck.
3. It is fast-absorbing and cosmetically elegant, featuring microscopic particles for additional oil control. If I want to wear makeup over it, my face still looks flawless without any smudges, greasiness or caking. No one but me knows that I am wearing sunscreen! Plus I don’t need to use a makeup primer!
4. It’s enhanced with antioxidants phytomelanin and beta glucan 1,3, so not only does it protect your skin from UV rays, but it also helps reduce and address damage caused by sun exposure! Wow! Most sunscreens just provide a shield, but this also provides a remedy for sun damage!
5. It’s good for most skin types:
Normal Dry Oily Acne-Prone Sensitive
I have combination skin, and it works great for me!
- apply liberally 15 minutes before sun exposure
- after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating
- immediately after towel drying
- at least every 2 hours
- children under 6 months: Ask a doctor
Register for the Beauty in Bloom event to be entered into their free weekly Raffle and receive a voucher for a free Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF33 at any participating location!
#janmarini #antioxidantspf33 #beautyinbloom